Aberdeenshire Libraries – Local Studies
Meldrum Meg Way, The Meadows Industrial Estate, Oldmeldrum, AB51 0GN
Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm
The main reference collections, with resources for local and family history, are held within the Local Studies Department in Oldmeldrum. There is also a collection of relevant material available in every Aberdeenshire Library.
Family history resources include:
- Free access to Ancestry Library Edition in every Aberdeenshire library
- Old Parish Registers of baptisms, marriages and burials up to 1854
- Census records (1841 – 1901) for every Aberdeenshire parish
- International Genealogical Index (microfiche) of births, christenings and marriages for Scotland
- Monumental Inscriptions for various churchyards
- Transcripts of Episcopal Church records for some parishes
- A number of business directories
- Parish and local histories, biographies and family histories
- Local newspapers from 1747 to the present day
- Historical photographs and postcards
- Maps of the counties of Aberdeen, Banff and Kincardine from the 19th century to the present day
- Discount vouchers for the Scotlandspeople website available for purchase
- Computing facilities, including free Internet access, for residents and visitors
- Printing and copying
There are local collections of microfilm and the IGI on microfiche available at Banchory, Ellon, Fraserburgh,Huntly, Inverbervie, Inverurie, Macduff, Peterhead, Stonehaven and Strichen Libraries.
A comprehensive collection of OPRs and Census records for every Aberdeenshire parish is held in the Local Studies Department, Oldmeldrum.